Recipe by Vina
An adoptee from the Zaar account. Turns out that this is the exact recipe that I use for Indian Tacos...easy and delicious. Can also be used as a base for many other delicious toppings. Cook time is resting time.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, Sifted
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4-1 cup milk, warm
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- fat (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dry ingredients; cut in butter.
- Add enough warm milk to make a soft dough, easy to handle.
- Knead on floured board until dough is very smooth and soft but elastic.
- Do not use a lot of extra flour, and don't overknead, 3-4 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6-8 balls and brush the tops with melted butter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand 30-45 minutes.
- Pat out each ball into a round, 5 or 6 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. Using your index finger, poke a hole through the middle of each round. (Allows middle to cook; will close up while frying.)
- Fry in 3" of oil/fat (preheated to 365 degrees). I use my electric fry pan, so I can fry two at a time.
- Dough should rise immediately to surface.
- Cook until brown on one side, turn, and brown on other side being careful to not pierce crust.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot.