Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
This salad is hearty without meat, but ham lends saltiness and depth. You also can make this dish topped with grilled chicken or shrimp.
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 10 ounces Baby Spinach
- 2 nectarines, halved, pitted, each cut into 8 wedges
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup diced smoked ham (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spread almonds on a baking sheet. Toast in oven, stirring once or twice, until light golden, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Place spinach and nectarines in a large bowl. In a small bowl, stir together vinegar and sugar until dissolved. Season with pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until well browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in vinegar mixture and remove from heat.
- Scrape hot dressing over spinach mixture and toss to coat. Divide among 4 dinner plates. Sprinkle each salad with goat cheese, almonds and ham, if using. Serve immediately.