Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A warm spinach salad (spinach is barely wilted) with red and yellow peppers and Cotija cheese. I first made it with friends in Houston and am not sure where it came from before that ;), but I often receive compliments when I serve it at dinner parties.
- 1 bunch spinach (approx 10-12 oz when cleaned, or one of the store packages)
- 1 white onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter (approx. 8 T, adjust depending how large onions & peppers are)
- 1 cup Cotija cheese (a hard Mexican cheese, sometimes available in a Mexican section of a grocery store)
- Clean spinach and cut off most of stems.
- Crumble Cotija cheese with a fork and set aside to be used as garnish later.
- Dice onion and peppers.
- Place butter in large pot and melt on low heat.
- Add onions to butter, adjusting stove temperature until onions become soft.
- Add peppers and cook for another few - peppers should be soft around edges but still a bit crispy.
- Cook spinach in sauce very slightly - one friend sautes it by taking a handful and swiping it around the pan.
- This can take awhile if you decide to make more for a dinner party, though, so I usually add enough to fill the pot one-third to one-half full, stir it a few times, then take out immediately.
- Spinach should still be fluffy - just barely sauteed.
- Continue until finished with spinach, removing some onions and peppers with each batch.
- Add extra onions and peppers to salad.
- Sprinkle with Cotija cheese just before serving.
- Serves approximately 6 as a side dish, with some onions and peppers leftover for the next day.
- You can prepare this dish ahead of time by sauteing the onions and peppers and setting them aside.
- Reheat them and add the spinach just before you're ready to serve.