Recipe by jonesies
Serve as a firt course, or a light luncheon dish with whole grain bread. You can vary the flavor and texture by substituting apples, peaches, papayas or melon for the pear. Taken from the Family Circle Cookbook.
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
A nice change of pace from the usual salads. I really liked the pear slices in the salad. The dressing is little tangier than I prefer, but I did enjoy the salad. The combination of bacon and pears worked well together. Made for My-3-Chefs Nov. 2009.
- 1 (10 ounce) bag spinach, rinsed dried and torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pear, cored and thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place spinach in large bowl.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Remove to paper towel to drain.
- Discard all but 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings from skillet.
- Add oil to drippings in skillet and heat.
- Add onion; cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Add pear to spinach.
- Pour hot dressing over spinach and pear; toss well to coat.
- Crumble bacon and sprinkle over salad.
- Serve immediately.