Recipe by Oolala
Simmered with orange! Perfect for the fall and winter from "American Favorites" by Betty Rosbottom.
- 1 medium navel orange, skin left on, cut into large chunks, plus 8 thin slices for garnish
- 4 cups apple cider
- 4 cups cranberry juice cocktail
- 2 cinnamon sticks, plus
- 8 more cinnamon sticks (to garnish)
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oranges in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, or a blender, and pulse several times until coarsely chopped, or coarsely chop with a knife by hand.
- Place chopped orange, cider, cranberry juice cocktail, 2 cinnamon sticks and brown sugar in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often until hot, about 8-10 minutes. Using a large sieve, strain mixture and return to saucepan.
- Note: If not using immediately, cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat before serving. Cider and also be frozen, defrosted and reheated.
- To serve, pour into mugs or cups and garnish each serving with a cinnamon stick and 1 orange slice.