Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
A great combination of crisp tart Granny Smith apples and a rich yet fluffy cake that has a crunchy texture. From SELF magazine.
- 2⁄3 cup flour, plus extra
- flour, for dusting
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 350*. Coat 9" cake pan with cooking spray and dust with flour.
- Beat butter and 1/3 cup sugar in a bowl until fluffy. Beat in another 1/3 cup sugar.
- Add buttermilk, then egg whites one at a time, beating well.
- In another bowl, mix flour, cornmeal and baking powder. Add to butter mixture along with vanilla; mix.
- Pour into pan; arrange apples close together in a spiral on top. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbs sugar; bake 45-55 minutes.
This wonderful cake was quick and easy to make. A beautiful tall, light, fluffy, semi-sweet cake, with a sponge like texture and great flavour. I added 2 tsps of Kelbel's Sweet Spice Blend ontop of cake for additional flavour. Thanks so much for sharing.