Recipe by Tracy K
Like a molten chocolate souffle cake. Baked in heart-shaped ramekins, it makes a lovely and easy do-ahead dessert for Valentine's Day! Source: Li of Fine Cooking
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a double boiler over simmering water, heat the butter and the chocolate until the chocolate is almost competely melted.
- While that's heating, beat together the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar with a whisk or electric mixer until light and thick.
- Beat together the melted chocolate and butter, it should be quite warm.
- Add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture, then quickly beat in the flour till just combined.
- Butter and lightly flour four 4-ounce ramekins (note: you can use cocoa powder in place of the flour for dusting to avoid white flour residue on your finished cakes).
- Divide the batter evenly between the ramekins.
- At this point, you can refrigerate the desserts until you are ready to eat, for up to several hours, but be sure to bring them to room temp before baking.
- Heat the oven to 450.
- Bake the ramekins on a baking sheet for 6-7 minutes; the center will be quite soft but the sides should be set.
- Invert each ramekin onto a plate and let it sit for about 10 seconds.
- Unmold by lifting up one corner of the ramekin, the cake will fall out onto the plate.
- Serve immediately.
- OPTIONAL: Garnish with fresh raspberries, strawberries, or dust with powdered sugar.
- Can also serve with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream.