Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a simple, delicious dessert, perfect after a summer grill! I have used both, frozen cherries and fresh in this recipe. There is a big difference in the amount of liquid in fresh versus frozen sour cherries when cooked. If your cherries give off a lot of liquid, you may have to reduce your syrup a little longer. If using the frozen, drain very well. I also use only 1/2 cup of sugar as that is plenty sweet enough for our tastes. Use the best quality ice crean you can, such as Hagan Daas. This is adpated from Gourmet Magazine, July 2005 edition. Can also serve with butter cookies on the side,either homemade or from the bakery. Hope you enjoy!
- Rub together sugar and lemon juice in a 12-inch heavy skillet with your fingertips until mixture resembles wet sand. Heat over moderately high heat, swirling skillet slowly, until sugar is melted and pale golden, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add butter and swirl skillet until incorporated, about 30 seconds (mixture will bubble up).
- Add cherries, swirling skillet to coat, and bring to a boil (cherries will exude liquid; caramel will harden). Cook cherries, swirling skillet, until caramel is dissolved, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Pour through a medium-mesh sieve set over a bowl, then return liquid to skillet and boil until reduced to about 3/4 cup, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat, then add cherries and kirsch. Return to stove and boil 30 seconds.
- Spoon warm cherries into shallow bowls and top with scoops of ice cream.
- Note: Cherries can be cooked 3 hours ahead and kept, covered, at room temperature. Bring to a boil just before serving.
i'm not sure i GET this recipe. The end result was yummy, tho. when i added the cherries to the caramel, it hardened like cement. brought it all back to a boil until it melted again with the cherry juice. the end result was sweet syrup. no detection of caramel which is why i'm left wondering why did i make the caramel in the 1st place instead of just adding sugar to the cherry juice? Please enlighten me! it was delicious & everybody enjoyed it. heck, any excuse to buy more ice cream, lol! made for zwt6.