Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
We served this the other night at friend's house and we all enjoyed it very much. I found this on ivillage.com. This is a throw back to the 50's and 60's but a kicked up version. All the guests were oohing and aahing as they remembered yesteryear on their tongues.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large russet potatoes, about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
WARM SCALLION DIP
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 bunches scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces, both green and white parts
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 lime, zest of
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 red jalapeno chile, sliced thin (Use only the amount you can tolerate) (optional)
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- TO MAKE THE CHIPS:.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Brush 2 teaspoons of the olive oil on 2 heavy bottomed baking sheet.
- On a mandoline or by hand (CAREFULLY), slice the potatoes very thin, about 1/16".
- Slice only enough potatoes for 2 cookie sheets at a time; if you slice all the potatoes ahead of time, they will discolor.
- Arrange the potato slices in a single layer on the pan. Don't overlap.
- Repeat with second pan.
- Brush the tops lightly with olive oil and bake both pans for 10 minutes; check and rotate the pans if chips are browning more on one side than the other.
- Cook another 5 to 10 minutes, until very lightly golden. Turn the chips over, salt and pepper generously and cook an additional 3-5 minutes, until deep golden brown and rigid.
- Transfer to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- MAKE THE DIP:.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over a medium-low flame.
- Add the scallions and red pepper and cook until soft, about 7-10 minutes. Add the garlic and continue 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat amd let cool slightly in the saute pan.
- Stir in the lime zest, juice and sour cream; salt and pepper. If using, now add the chiles or crushed red pepper.
- Serve warm with potato chips.
- **(Dip can be made in advance and kept in refrigerator, allowing flavors to marry, and when needed warm in microwave)** Can also be kept in slow cooker for serving.