Recipe by Akita
Warm salad to go with bbq or on its own as a light summer dinner. Vegan and very healthy. I made it up because I was tired of the old potato salads for bbq. Ingredients are per person as a main course, and can be adapted according to taste -use what you have! The taste will be richer with organic ingredients, this goes in particular for the tomato. Prep time is just washing lentils, the rest of the cutting is done while lentils are on the stove. The volume of lentils is when soaked. Use a little more than half the volume if you measure dried lentils.
- 150 ml green lentils (soaked 4 hours or overnight) or 150 ml brown lentils (soaked 4 hours or overnight)
- 1 potato, cut in dices of 1 cm
- 10 cm leeks, cut in slices of 0, 5 cm
- 1 small onion, in somewhat big pieces
- 1 piece garlic, cut very small
- 2 baby carrots, cut finely
- 1⁄3 red pepper, cut in big pieces
- 1 tomatoes, cut in big pieces
- fresh herb (chives, basil or parsel)
- black pepper, coarse
- soy sauce (optional)
- chili (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Start with the lentils. Wash them thoroughly and boil 5 mins in a pan or wok on high heat with just enough water to cover. (Lentils should cook for a total of about 15 mins).
- After 5 mins turn down heat to medium. Add potatoes, onion, leek, carrots . Don't add water, there's water in the veggies. Stir once in a while. If the pan runs dry, add just a little oil.
- After another 5 mins, add red pepper, tomato and garlic. If the dish is not to accompany a spicy bbq, add a little chili and soy sauce here.
- The dish is ready when the potatoes are cooked, but still a bit chewy.
- Take off the heat and stir in some green herbs and black pepper.
- Serve in salad bowl.