Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Something different to do with zucchini! Easy to prepare, but very delicious in the opinion of my family.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2⁄3 cup cream or 2⁄3 cup creme fraiche
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped or 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 lb zucchini, peeled and in 1/8 inch slices
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, as garnish (omit if using dried)
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots and cook 1 minute, stirring so that they do not burn;.
- Add cream and basil; heat to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened (5 to 10 minutes).
- Add lemon juice, vinegar, tabasco, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the zucchini and mix till well-coated.
- Add in the tomatoes, and mix well.
- You are not cooking the zucchini and tomatoes, only coating them in the warm sauce.
- Sprinkle with 1 TBS fresh basil garnish, if using.
- Serve immediately.
What a unique way of serving zucchini! We loved it! The zucchini remains crispy, but slightly warmed by the sauce. The sauce itself is wonderful - the shallots, the cream, the vinegar and lemon - great combination of flavours. We used Roma tomatoes because of the firmness, and young, tender zucchini. The fresh basil is key as well. Great tasting, colourful and very different. Thanks FlemishMinx. This one's a real keeper!