Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Fine Cooking. This was part of our Thanksgiving meal. It made a luscious first course. The dressing, in particular, is wonderful and unique.
For the plum vinaigrette
- 5 tablespoons damson plums or 5 tablespoons beach plum preserves
- 1⁄4 cup champagne vinegar or 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup canola oil (or peanut oil)
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the greens
- 1 (10 ounce) bag spinach or 1 lb fresh loose spinach
- 3 -4 cups swiss chard (red or green chard is fine, about one bunch) or 3 -4 cups young kale (red or green chard is fine, about one bunch)
- 1⁄2-1 lb frisee (1 large or 2 small heads) or 1⁄2-1 lb escarole (1 large or 2 small heads)
- chestnuts (roasted, peeled, and quartered)
- Up to one week ahead:.
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the preserves, vinegar, and mustard until smooth. Continue pulsing and slowly add the oil until incorporated. Add the shallots, salt, and pepper; pulse briefly. Refrigerate in a bottle.
- Up to four days ahead:.
- Stem the spinach and chard (or kale), and cut the chard or kale into strips about 1/2 inch wide. Cut the bottoms off the frisée or escarole.
- Mix all the greens, wash thoroughly, and spin dry. Wrap loosely in damp (not wet) paper towels and store in sealed zip-top bags. They should stay fresh this way for 5 days.
- Just before serving:.
- Bring the dressing to room temperature. In a very large sauté pan (preferably nonstick), heat about 1 Tbs. of the olive oil over medium-high heat and add one-third of the greens, one-third of the nuts, and a bit of salt and pepper.
- Sauté 1 to 2 min., stirring all the time, until the leaves are slightly wilted. Drizzle a little dressing on them, toss lightly with tongs, and transfer the nuts and greens to a serving platter.
- Repeat with the remaining greens in two more batches, adding only enough olive oil to the pan as needed to sauté.
I made this for my daughters b'day. I put toasted pecans, and baby arugala in the salad. I twas excellent