From Fine Cooking. This was part of our Thanksgiving meal. It made a luscious first course. The dressing, in particular, is wonderful and unique.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the plum vinaigrette
- 5 tablespoons damson plums or 5 tablespoons beach plum preserves
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar or 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup canola oil (or peanut oil)
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the greens
- 1 (10 ounce) bag spinach or 1 lb fresh loose spinach
- 3 -4 cups swiss chard (red or green chard is fine, about one bunch) or 3 -4 cups young kale (red or green chard is fine, about one bunch)
- 1/2-1 lb frisee (1 large or 2 small heads) or 1/2-1 lb escarole (1 large or 2 small heads)
- chestnuts (roasted, peeled, and quartered)
- 1Up to one week ahead:.
- 2In a blender or food processor, pulse the preserves, vinegar, and mustard until smooth. Continue pulsing and slowly add the oil until incorporated. Add the shallots, salt, and pepper; pulse briefly. Refrigerate in a bottle.
- 3Up to four days ahead:.
- 4Stem the spinach and chard (or kale), and cut the chard or kale into strips about 1/2 inch wide. Cut the bottoms off the frisée or escarole.
- 5Mix all the greens, wash thoroughly, and spin dry. Wrap loosely in damp (not wet) paper towels and store in sealed zip-top bags. They should stay fresh this way for 5 days.
- 6Just before serving:.
- 7Bring the dressing to room temperature. In a very large sauté pan (preferably nonstick), heat about 1 Tbs. of the olive oil over medium-high heat and add one-third of the greens, one-third of the nuts, and a bit of salt and pepper.
- 8Sauté 1 to 2 min., stirring all the time, until the leaves are slightly wilted. Drizzle a little dressing on them, toss lightly with tongs, and transfer the nuts and greens to a serving platter.
- 9Repeat with the remaining greens in two more batches, adding only enough olive oil to the pan as needed to sauté.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warm Salad of Autumn Greens With Plum Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 174.3
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 52.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: