Recipe by DailyInspiration
Rice is part of every Middle Eastern meal. This unusual warm salad combines a variety of colors, flavors, and textures. Recipe is from my Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy International Recipes cookbook.
Top Review by Annacia
Photo may be seen here (in Savor): www.annacia.com. This is really delicious and made with black rice it's a stunner on the table. I love the way that the sweet and savory mingle and become and addicting taste that keeps on pulling you back to take another bite. It's also very satisfying I made a single serving (using 1/4 cup of rice) and it made a filling meal for me. I have more of everything and this will be made again!
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red bell peppers, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced (green and white parts)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly roasted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice. When water boils again, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, until rice is tender and most of the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand covered, 5 minutes. Then spoon rice into a large bowl. Add raisins, apricots, bell pepper, onion, and pine nuts. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl or custard cup, combine remaining ingredients. Add to rice and mix well. Serve right away (Leftovers can be served cold).