Recipe by Steingrim
An unusual topping for vanilla ice cream. I like this one slightly spicy.
Top Review by CoffeeB
I was very intriqued by this recipe in it's use of fruit along with savory spices. I never would have thought to add these things together, but they truly work. Excellent either over frozen vanilla yogurt/icecream, or by itself. I did opt out of using Tabasco as I'm not a fan. :-) Made for FrenchForum's Herb of the Month - Bay~
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf (fresh if possible)
- 1⁄4 lb rhubarb, diced
- 1 red banana, peeled diced
- 1 cup ripe blackberry
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash cinnamon
- Tabasco sauce, to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the butter over medium high heat in a sauté pan.
- When brown add bay leaf, orange juice, and brown sugar.
- Swirl sugar and butter over heat until sugar melts.
- Add the rhubarb and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the rest of the fruit and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and Tabasco.
- Serve immediately- excellent served over vanilla ice cream.
- Makes 4 servings.