Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a comforting warm side dish that is welcomed in cooler weather. Even men eat this salad!
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole kernel corn (fresh or frozen)
- 4 thick slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, enough water to cover, and, if desired, the 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Add corn; cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain well; set aside.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Drain bacon on paper towels.; set aside.
- Add onion to the drippings in skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until onion is tender. Carefully add vinegar, broth, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and gently stir in potatoes and bacon.
- Cook, stirring gently, for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through.
- MAKE AHEAD:
- Prepare as directed. Transfer to a microwave-safe 2-quart casserole; cover and chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, microwave, covered, on 100% power (high) for 6 to 8 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Stir before serving.
Really enjoyed this potato salad! I left out the onions, otherwise made as specified. I loved the dressing and the corn was a great addition. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Had this for our July 4th bbq. DH really loved it and it reminded me of German potato salad I grew up eating - with corn added.