I got this recipe out of the Fitness Food Cookbook, a christmas gift from my sister. I'm copying this recipe as is but will probably sub half the ingredients-- I don't care for goat cheese, I'll probably use feta. And I never heard of hazelnut oil; I'd sub with olive or sunflower oil. Lemon pepper would also be a nice sub for black pepper in the seasoning the cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (1 tsp minced garlic)
- 2 teaspoons grated gingerroot (I'd use powdered ginger)
- 1 1/2 cups split red lentils
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon hazelnut oil
- 100 g soft fresh goat cheese (I'll use crumbled feta)
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt, strained
- 1Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 2Stir in the lentils and vegetable stock. Let cook, covered (but with venting for the steam), for 20 minutes on medium-high heat.
- 3After 20 minutes, remove from heat and stir in the mint and cilantro.
- 4In a frying pan (or skillet), heat the other tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat, add the onions, and cook for about 10 minutes or until softly translucent and browned.
- 5Toss the spinach in the hazelnut oil in a bowl, then divide between 4 serving plates.
- 6Mash the goat (or feta) cheese with the yogurt in a small bowl and season to taste with pepper.
- 7Divide the lentils between the serving plates and top with the onions and cheese mixture. Garnish with lemon quarters and serve with toasted rye bread, pitas, or melba toast.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warm Red Lentil Salad With Goat or Feta Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 443.8
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 13.4 mg
- Sodium 132.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 25.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: