Recipe by Geema
The classic combination of apples and cabbage is sparked by the addition of walnuts and goat cheese in this interesting salad from The Greens Cookbook.
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoons oil, walnut preferably
- salt and pepper
- 1 head red cabbage, finely shredded or sliced
- 1 red apple, peeled,cored,and cut into julienne
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled in large pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 350 degree oven, toast the walnuts that have been tossed with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 5-6 minutes, being careful to not let them burn.
- In a large saute pan or skillet over medium high heat, add the vinegar, garlic and oil.
- As soon as they are hot, add the onions and cook for only 30 seconds or so.
- Next add the cabbage and cook for just about 2 minutes, stirring continually, until color changes from bright purple to pink.
- Season with salt, pepper and a dash more vinegar.
- Remove the wilted cabbage to individual salad plates and top with the apples, walnuts, goat cheese, and herbs.