Prep 20 mins
Cook 13 mins
From Rick Rodgers. Perfect for Super Bowl Sunday.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red beans, drained and reserve liquid
- hot red pepper sauce, to taste
- Let the oil get heated in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat.
- Add in the andouille; cook, 5 minutes, turning often (until browned).
- Add in the onion, scallions, red bell pepper, and garlic; lower heat to medium.
- Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cajun seasoning.
- Add in the beans; cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Using a slotted spoon or potato masher, mash the beans in the skillet, adding enough of the reserved bean liquid as needed.
- Season with hot pepper sauce.
- Transfer to a small (1 quart) slow cooker on low.
- Serve warm with toasted baguette or sturdy tortilla chips.