Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The daily green.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quinoa
- 3 1⁄4 cups plus 3 tablespoons water
- 1 (10 ounce) bag broccoli florets
- 2⁄3 cup chopped carrot (about 1 large)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- In sieve, rinse quinoa with cold running water. In 3-quart saucepan, combine quinoa, 3 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Transfer quinoa to large bowl.
- Meanwhile, place broccoli and 1/4 cup water in microwave-safe medium bowl; cover and cook in microwave oven on High 4 to 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain; add to quinoa in bowl.
- In blender, combine carrot, ginger, vegetable oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, remaining 3 tablespoons water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; blend until pureed. Add to quinoa and broccoli and toss to combine. Serve salad warm or at room temperature.
As written this was only a 3 star for me but it only took a minor change to bump it up to four. I had to double the dressing! After the quinoa cooked... I knew I'd made a mistake. Out of our family of 4, I'm really the only one who will eat it. Even then, I'm not always a fan. I'm going to have trouble eating it all. (It made about 6 cups) If I make this again, I will half the quinoa but leave all the other amounts the same. It has nice color, the orange flecks are pretty from the carrot. I think it would benefit from some diced red pepper as well to give it even more color. The flavors would blend well with a bit of cilantro. For my leftovers, I'm considering adding some pomegranate seeds.