Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A yummy salad for a cooler night.
- 1⁄2 medium butternut pumpkin, peeled,deseeded and cut into 1 cm cubes (about 650g)
- 40 ml olive oil
- 45 g pine nuts
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bunch english spinach, trimmed,washed
- 1 orange, juiced
- 120 g feta
- Cook the pumpkin in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain and refresh under running cold water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the pine nuts for about 2 minutes or until golden.
- Stir them occasionally.
- Remove the pine nuts and drain on paper towel.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, or until just soft.
- Stir in th pumpkin and the paprika and cook, stirring, over a low heat for 1 minute.
- Stir in the spinach and the orange juice and cook for a further 3-5 minutes or until the spinach has just wilted.
- Gently stir through the pine nuts and feta and serve warm.
We used pumpkin instead of butternut squash, don't know how much that changes things (I'm not a chef, I'm an eater). The pine nuts and feta were a good flavor/texture too.
This is a mild flavoured salad. I used very good quality ingredients but the salad didn't waw us. I used an unrefined extra virgin olive oil, sweet paprika (maybe for those who like spicy a hot paprika would work better here), baby spinach and a goats milk feta cheese along with the rest. I wouldn't make this again. Made for RECIPE SWAP #45 - October 2010.