Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These pretzels are awesome! Just like you would get in the mall or at the fair!
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- coarse salt, to taste
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Measure out the water into a medium mixing bowl. Sprinkle the yeast onto the water, and stir it to dissolve.
- Add the sugar, brown sugar, salt and stir to dissolve.
- When blended, add the flour, and mix until dough is formed.
- Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Then, leaving the dough in the mixing bowl, cover and allow rising for at least 1/2 hour.
- While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath by combining 2 cups warm water and 2 tablespoons baking soda. Stir the mixture often until ready to use.
- After dough has risen, pinch off small bits of dough and roll each into a long rope (about 1/2 inch or less thick) and shape into pretzel shape.
- Dip each pretzel carefully into the soda solution and then place onto a greased baking sheet. When all the pretzels have been laid out, cover, and allow them to rise again.
- Bake in oven at 450 for about 10 minutes or until golden. Immediately after removing form the oven, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse salt. Serves 4 to 6.