Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
Savory, tart and a little bit sweet, this potato salad is a perennial favorite at the Stable Cafe at Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC. Perfect with any sandwich. This warm potato salad is similar to German potato salad but not exactly the same. The major difference being that the potatoes are simmered in a special sweet and tangy broth until tender. I didn't have red potatoes on hand so I used Yukon golds. It worked well but I will definitely use reds next time. I think It will have more eye appeal. The only adjustment I made in the preparation was to sautee the onions and celery until slightly wilted. From: Biltmore, Our Table To Yours, Chef's Selection Cookbook
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine vinegar, brown sugar, water, salt in a 2 gallon suacepan and bring to a boil.
- 2Add the potatoes and cook for 25 minutes or just tender (Yukon golds take longer).
- 3In the meantime, slice bacon into small pieces. Brown in a skillet until crispy. Remove from skillet. Reserve the bacon drippings.
- 4Add the olive oil to the bacon drippings. Warm over medium heat and add onion and celery. Sautee until slightly wilted. Add the bacon back to the skillet.
- 5When potatoes are tender, drain off the liquid.
- 6Add the bacon mixture to the hot potatoes, toss and serve.
- 7The recipe suggests this serves 10 side portions. In my opinion, it serves less but then I loved it. I say 6-10 depending on the serving size.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warm Potato Salad by Biltmore
Serving Size: 1 (461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.2
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 4011.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 45.3 g
- Protein 5.1 g