Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Smoky-sweet grilled pineapple gives this All-American dessert a tropical treat. Recipe is from Ladies Home Journal. For a more-adult version, substitute 2 T rum for the extract.
- 1 (10 ounce) jar caramel sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 (4 lb) fresh pineapple (peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch thick rounds)
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄2 lb peanut brittle (or macadamia-nut brittle, broken into small pieces)
- In medium bowl, combine caramel sauce, extract, cinnamon and nutmeg; cover and set aside.
- Heat grill to medium high.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle sugar over pineapple, let stand 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Grill pineapple (reserve bowl with juices), turning once, until grill marked and heated through, about 8 minutes.
- Cut each round into 8 triangles, add to reserved bowl with juices and toss to coat.
- Serve warm or chilled over ice cream with rum-caramel sauce and brittle.