Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- butter, softened
- granulated sugar
- 4 slices good quality firm white bread
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup cubed ripe pineapple
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
- unsweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Generously butter two 8-ounce ovenproof glass pudding dishes and sprinkle the bottom of the dishes lightly with granulated sugar.
- Butter the bread on both sides and then cut into cubes.
- Using half the bread cubes, place a single layer in the bottom of each dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the rum, brown sugar, spices, and lemon juice.
- Add the pineapple and melted butter and toss well to coat.
- Layer half the pineapple mixture into the dishes, followed by the remaining bread cubes and then the remaining pineapple.
- Sprinkle lightly with additional granulated sugar.
- Place the dishes in a shallow baking pan and pour hot water into the pan about halfway up the side of the dishes.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake about 30 minutes or until the puddings are nicely browned.
- Serve warm with dabs of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Dancer^, you never disappoint me! :] This was such a quick treat and it used up my homemade white bread which didn't taste quite as fresh anymore. I didn't have rum so I used some molasses and vanilla to add flavor. I also added a few walnuts. But this was a great recipe. Came out crisp on top and smooth throughout. Light enough for breakfast, even.