Recipe by KittyKitty
I buy my pears just slightly underripe, and then wait a day, so that I get the right firmness. If your pears are soft, the dish will not turn out. I learned the hard way. ;)
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- grated nutmeg
- 1 cup sweet apple cider
- 4 firm ripe pears
- freshly made custard or cream or ice cream, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Carefully remove rind from the lemon with potato peeler, leave white pith behind.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a saucepan,add the rind, sugar, nutmeg and cider, heat through to dissolve sugar.
- Carefully peel pears, leaving the stalks on, place them in the pan of cider. Poach 10-15 minutes, until almost tender, turning frequently to cook evenly.
- Transfer pears to individual serving plates with slotted spoon. Simmer liquid over high heat until reduced slightly and syrupy.
- Pour warm syrup over pars, serve immediately with custard, cream or ice cream.