Recipe by Scoutie
Perfect dessert for the summer! I think this would be great with other fruits as well. In a pinch, I have used frozen peaches, tho fresh are much better. Prep time does not include cooling time or the standing of the peaches. This is adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, July 2002. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
- 1360.77 g fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced lengthwise, slices cut crosswise in half
- 118.29 ml packed brown sugar
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 22.18 ml Bourbon
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 591.47 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- 88.74 ml sugar
- 14.78 ml sugar
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 177.44 ml finely chopped pecans (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 118.29 ml chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 118.29 ml vegetable shortening, frozen, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 158.51 ml chilled buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 236.59 ml chilled whipping cream
- 29.58 ml packed golden brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Gently toss sliced peaches with the brown sugar,fresh lemon juice, bourbon and cinnamon in large bowl to blend. Let stand at room temperature until juices form, tossing occasionally, about 2 hours.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 425°F
- Whisk flour, 6 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and pecan bits in medium bowl to blend.
- Add butter and shortening and rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms.
- Whisk buttermilk and 1 egg to blend in small bowl. Add to flour mixture and stir until moist clumps form.
- Gather dough together; turn out onto floured work surface and knead gently just until dough holds together, about 5 turns (dough will be moist).
- Pat dough into 9x6-inch rectangle; use a 3" cookie cutter or a large juice glass to cut dough into rounds. Transfer to heavy ungreased baking sheet, spacing apart.
- (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate.)
- Sprinkle rounds with remaining 3 teaspoons sugar. Bake biscuits until puffed and light golden, about 18 minutes. Cool biscuits 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat whipping cream and brown sugar in medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Using serrated knife, cut warm biscuits horizontally in half. Place 1 bottom half on each dessert plate. Top with Brown Sugar Peaches. Cover with biscuit tops. Spoon generous dollop of whipped cream atop each; serve immediately.