Perfect dessert for the summer! I think this would be great with other fruits as well. In a pinch, I have used frozen peaches, tho fresh are much better. Prep time does not include cooling time or the standing of the peaches. This is adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, July 2002. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced lengthwise, slices cut crosswise in half
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, frozen, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
- 1Gently toss sliced peaches with the brown sugar,fresh lemon juice, bourbon and cinnamon in large bowl to blend. Let stand at room temperature until juices form, tossing occasionally, about 2 hours.
- 2Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 425°F
- 3Whisk flour, 6 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and pecan bits in medium bowl to blend.
- 4Add butter and shortening and rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms.
- 5Whisk buttermilk and 1 egg to blend in small bowl. Add to flour mixture and stir until moist clumps form.
- 6Gather dough together; turn out onto floured work surface and knead gently just until dough holds together, about 5 turns (dough will be moist).
- 7Pat dough into 9x6-inch rectangle; use a 3" cookie cutter or a large juice glass to cut dough into rounds. Transfer to heavy ungreased baking sheet, spacing apart.
- 8(Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate.)
- 9Sprinkle rounds with remaining 3 teaspoons sugar. Bake biscuits until puffed and light golden, about 18 minutes. Cool biscuits 10 minutes.
- 10Meanwhile, beat whipping cream and brown sugar in medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- 11Using serrated knife, cut warm biscuits horizontally in half. Place 1 bottom half on each dessert plate. Top with Brown Sugar Peaches. Cover with biscuit tops. Spoon generous dollop of whipped cream atop each; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warm Peach Shortcakes With Brown Sugar Cream
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 975.7
- Calories from Fat 531
- Total Fat 59.0 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 131.3 mg
- Sodium 555.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 58.0 g
- Protein 11.6 g