Recipe by Ceezie
It’s a satisfying, balanced breakfast with whole grain, fruit, and protein from eggs and low-fat milk. Plus, there’s no grease or mess from frying as you would have with typical French toast, so you are free to sit back and enjoy the morning coffee and conversation. This recipe is from USA Weekend
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Using frozen peaches, I pretty much followed the recipe right on down to, but not including the two optional ingredients! Instead of the maple syrup, I used a homemade peach syrup that a friend had given us, and with your recipe and that syrup, the result was thoroughly enjoyable! Many thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made and reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1 large whole wheat baguette (about 8 ounces)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups fresh sliced peaches (or frozen unsweetened peaches, thawed)
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain nonfat yogurt (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup pure maple syrup (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Cut the baguette into half-inch-thick slices and arrange them in a single layer in the pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, egg whites, milk and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the pan. Scatter the peach slices evenly over the bread. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover and bake until slightly puffed and the bread is golden brown, about 40 minutes. If desired, top with yogurt and drizzle with maple syrup.