Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Bob Greene’s book, The Best Life Diet Cookbook. He says, “The simplicity of this recipe highlights the sweet, unique taste of peas. The soup has an almost velvety texture on your tongue. If you are making it in the spring and have fresh sweet peas available, it will be well work the extra trouble of removing them from their shells.” Per serving, about: calories: 169, protein 9g, carbohydrate 30g, dietary fiber 8g, sugars, 9g, total fat 2g, saturated fat 1 g, cholesterol 8 mg, calcium 95mg, sodium 171mg.
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1892.72 ml water, divided
- 473.18 ml green onions, chopped white and green parts
- 709.77 ml fresh peas, shelled or 709.77 ml frozen peas, defrosted at room temperature
- 1.23 ml salt
- black pepper
- 59.16 ml low-fat sour cream
- Add potato in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove the potato.
- In a pot filled with 6 cups water, add the green onions; bring to a boil. Add the peas and turn off the heat immediately. Allow the pea mixture to rest for 5 minutes. Drain the peas and green onions and puree in a blender with the potato, salt, pepper, and 2 cups water until very smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Warm the soup over a low flame in a medium pot, stirring frequently, until warm, about 5 minutes. Garnish with the sour cream and serve.