Salad Nicoise is a classic composed salad, originally from Nice, France--on the famed Cote de Azur. Here's a simple delicious variation on the classic salad that's made with pasta not potatoes, and gets all tossed together in a large serving bowl not composed. A great summer luncheon or dinner main course. Just serve it with a glass of white wine, a chunk of cheese, and a crusty loaf of bread. Bon appetit! Tips: Grilled tuna or swordfish would make a delicious substitute for the canned albacore. For a more traditional version I sometimes add some sliced red onion, sliced hard-boiled eggs, and a handful of cooked new potatoes (in place of the pasta) and haricots verts. You can reduce the amount of olives to about 1/4 cup---thereby reducing the fat---still tastes great, in fact I prefer it. Time listed does not include one hour sit time, but I don't really find it necessary. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups nicoise olives, pitted
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh oregano leaves, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dash balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb dry pasta (such as rigatoni, penne rigate, or orecchiette)
- 1 (12 ounce) can solid white tuna, drained
- 1In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except pasta and tuna. Stir well, cover, and let sit for 1 hour.
- 2Set aside about 1 1/2 cups.
- 3Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well.
- 4Add to large bowl of sauce along with tuna, and combine.
- 5Serve in shallow bowls topped with some of the reserved sauce. Garnish with fresh oregano.
- 6Serves 4 to 6.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warm Pasta-Salad Nicoise
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 747.9
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 26.3 mg
- Sodium 1195.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 40.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: