Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
A warm mushroom salad, a warm late winter's eve.. I think perhaps I can make it 'till spring! I enjoyed it with purely the mushrooms and juices, but you may also prefer the traditional salad toppers. Courtesy DailyRecipe email service.
- 1 bag mixed salad green
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups garlic-flavored croutons (optional)
- fresh parmesan cheese, shavings (optional)
- salt (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Arrange greens on 4 salad plates.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, shallots and garlic.
- Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in chives, lemon juice, vinegar and sugar.
- Simmer for a few seconds until very hot.
- Spoon over salad greens.
- Optional: Top with croutons, Parmesan cheese, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
My husband and I thought this salad was the best. The lemon-balsamic dressing had the most extraordinary flavor. I left-off the croutons but did sprinkle fresh grated parmesan cheese on top. I highly recommend this to all mushroom lovers. It is a delight. Thanks s'kat.
Enjoyed the salad and the balsamic sauce did make a wonderful dressing. We will enjoy this salad time and time again. I'll try the addition of the tomato wedges the next time. Thanks for sharing!
I've been making this now for years. The only thing I do is increase the amount of mushrooms as we all LOVE mushrooms ! I use meaty "Swiss Browns". I have added some tomato wedges to the dish before and they worked really well, but you need to be careful and warm them, not cook them.