Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another one from the Toronto Star's Chef's Showcase from the 80s. Made it as part of dinner tonight and it ended up to be our dinner. Oh well, I don't have to cook tomorrow! And I have leftover crostini for lunch. Recipe by Chef Michael Bonacini.
- 2 cups mushrooms, assorted, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices smoked bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 8 -10 slices French baguettes, cut 1/4 inch thick, lightly toasted
- In heavy bottomed frying pan, heat olive oil and butter under medium-low heat; add bacon and fry until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute, stirring from time to time for 5 to 6 minutes; season with salt and pepper; when mushrooms are cooked, add parsley and cheese; remove from heat, cover and let rest for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Spoon warm mixture on to slices of toasted bread.
First, I have to apologize for the lack of parsley in the photo. I stirred it in right after I took the photo. One of my guests DO NOT like it, so I did this first.
The recipe is great and wonderful flavor. Two changes. I used 1/2 the amount of oil which was plenty. But, I do realize depending on the type of bacon you use, you may get more or less drippings off that. I had enough drippings so the extra 2 tablespoons of oil was not necessary. The other change, I added 2-3 tablespoons of sherry wine. It added a nice rich flavor to the mushrooms.
The cheese mixed in with the mushrooms gave it a great creamy texture and the smoky bacon was a great background flavor.
Excellent appy, can't wait to make again! At first I thought this might be a bit greasy with the oil, butter, and bacon grease but no! That's where the crostini comes in and soaks up all that goodness! We used Sea Salt Bagel Bites instead of crusted bread and it was fantastic! Thanks for sharing! Made for PAC Fall 2009.
5 STAR FOR SURE I did them a bit different - Instead of adding the parmesan to the mushrooms I sprinkled it on top on the mushroooms on the baguette slices - I didn;t use any butter or oil just 2 sprays of no oil- one on the bread before adding the mushrooms and a quick spray on top of the mushrooms on the baguettes before topping them with the cheese Baked in 375 oven for 14 minutes Perfect!