Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The fresh mozzarella for this salad is warmed in a hot oven for a short time, giving it this soft, luscious heavenly texture. The vinegarette and kalamata olives are a nice foil for the richness of the cheese. Buon Appetit! Oh the credit for this goes to a recipe card from Safeway... the fine print says "try-foods, int'l".. I've made a few adjustments
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese (sliced 1/2in. thick)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup ground toasted pine nuts (or any favorite nut, toasted)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (reggiano preferred, grated)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 3 cups mixed fresh salad greens
- 3 slices prosciutto, cut into strips crosswise
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive (pitted if you prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh tomato, roughly chopped
- balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Marinate slices of mozzarella in olive oil 1-2 minutes per side.Mix bread crumbs with ground nuts, grated cheese, parsley and basil. Dredge cheese in breadcrumb mixture. Bake coated cheese at 425 degrees for approx 2-4 minutes. WATCH THE CHEESE. If it looks like it's getting TOO soft, PULL IT. we're not going for fondue here. Toss mixed salad greens with baslamic vinegar and oil and plate. Top dressed greens with mozzarella and then divide the proscuitto, olives and tomatoes among serving plates.