Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I am really coming to enjoy lentils which is something I never would have anticipated in the past but they really are versatile. I stole this off a a vegan website and have been meaning to try it. I am sticking it here so I don't forget I have it. They didn't list serving amounts so I am guessing a tad.
- 7 sun-dried tomatoes, the type that aren't in oil
- 1 cup green lentil, sorted and rinsed
- 1 pinch coarse sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1⁄2 celery rib, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine the tomatoes with water to cover. Bring to a boil, remove the pan from the heat, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil.
- Add the lentils and boil, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and continue to boil for 10-15 minutes, until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Drain, transfer the lentils to a mixing bowl, and toss them with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, warm the remaining oil.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery, and cook, stirring often, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir the vegetables into the lentils.
- Drain the tomatoes, slice them into quarters.
- Add them to the lentil mixture.
- Season the salad with vinegar and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped parley. Serve.
Simple and Delicious! My vegetables came out almost carmelized when I cooked them. That, added with the red wine vinegar and sundried tomatoes, made for a great flavor combo. I did use 3 cloves of garlic because mine were small. I also simmered the lentils until tender. When I cook lentils at a full boil, they tend to loose their shape and turn to mush rather quickly. After making this, I would maybe say this recipe makes 6-8 servings instead of 2. I hope this helps!