Recipe by conniecooks
This is a great side dish or a meal in itself. It is positively delicious. Not really a a salad more like a tangy lentil stew. You can use any mushroom combination you choose, even dried.
Top Review by Carolyn W
Delicious! Five stars for the great flavor -- the vinegar really brightens the flavor of the dish. I had to make several changes to the recipe to accommodate what ingredients I had on hand. I originally wasn't going to rate the recipe since I made so many changes, but the salad is just too good not to rate! I used plain brown lentils, didn't have the celery on hand, used only cremini mushrooms, substituted bacon for the pancetta, and used dried rosemary. It's such a good winter meal!
- 1 cup green lentil
- 2 1⁄2 cups good quality chicken stock
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, cut in large pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut in thirds
- 2 cups wild mushrooms (I used shitake, portobello & cremini)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb pancetta, coarsley chopped (1 inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put lentils in pot with chicken stock, onion, carrot, and celery.
- Simmer 35 minutes or until done.
- Discard celery, and cut carrot up and add back to lentils.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile saute pancetta till crisp. Drain and set aside.
- Drain pancetta,and add enough butter to drippings to saute mushrooms.
- Add garlic to mushrooms.
- When mixture is nice and golden add herbs, Balsamic Vinegar, mustard, and olive oil.
- Fold in cooked lentils and reserved pancetta.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.