Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Insalata di Lenticchie, in '1,000 Italian Recipes' by Michele Scicilone
- 1 lb lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Place the lentils in a large pot with cold water to cover by 1 inch.
- Add in the garlic and herbs.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 35 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and cook until the lentils are tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Drain the lentils and discard herbs and garlic.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper to taste together.
- Add the lentils, onion, and parsley; mix well.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.