Recipe by Sharon123
Submitted by Susan Cortesi, from Northbrook, IL.She was a 2009 Finalist in the Chicken Cooking Contest put on by the National Chicken Council. This is a winner!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, divided
- 5 cups country Italian bread, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 English cucumber, cut in 1/2-inch slices and then quartered
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, cored and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup large black olives, halved
- 2 cups cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or Great Northern beans)
- 5 ounces sharp provolone cheese, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup torn fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 basil sprigs
- 2 lemon slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in large bowl. In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and olive oil. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper. Pour mixture over chicken; cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. Spread bread cubes on two baking pans and toast in 400° F oven about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool. In large bowl, place red onion, cucumber, tomatoes, olive, cannelloni beans and provolone cheese.
- Heat large grill pan over high heat. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place chicken on hot grill pan, lower heat to medium high and cook about 8-9 minutes. Turn chicken and cook about 10-12 more minutes or until thermometer reaches 165°F Remove chicken to cutting board; cover with foil. To bowl of vegetables, add bread cubes; stir to mix well. Reheat dressing over high heat about 1 minute; pour over bread mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with torn basil leaves; toss again and arrange on serving platter. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. Slice chicken crosswise into 1/2-inch slices and arrange over salad. Spoon Basil Aioli over top of chicken and garnish platter with basil sprigs and lemon slices.
- Hot Dressing:.
- In small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add minced garlic and cook about 2 minutes to soften. Lower heat to medium and whisk in red wine vinegar; freshly squeezed lemon juice; Dijon mustard; lemon zest; salt; and cracked black pepper. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Basil Aioli:
- In bowl of food processor or blender, place mayonnaise; chopped fresh basil leaves; fresh lemon zest; freshly squeezed lemon juice; and salt. Pulse or blend to mix well and finely chop basil; remove to small bowl, cover and refrigerate.