Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
From Southern Living, December 2013. Bacon and trendy kale update the more traditional hot spinach dip.
- 5 bacon, slices (chopped)
- 1 lb fresh kale (stemmed and finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese (softened)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 1⁄2 ounces shredded asiago cheese (about 1 cup, plus 2 T)
- 4 1⁄2 ounces shredded fontina (about 1 cup, plus 2 T) or 4 1⁄2 ounces swiss cheese (about 1 cup, plus 2 T)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- assorted crackers (to serve) or toasted bread, slices (to serve)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 6 to 7 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoons drippings in Dutch oven.
- Sauté kale, onion, and garlic in hot drippings 7 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender. Add wine, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until particles loosen from bottom of Dutch oven.
- Stir together cream cheese and mayonnaise in a large bowl until smooth.
- Stir in Asiago cheese, next 4 ingredients, and kale mixture. Spoon into a lightly greased 1- to 1 1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until center is hot and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes; top with bacon. Serve with crackers or toasted bread slices.
- Note: To make ahead prep recipe through Step 2. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. Let stand at room temp 30 minutes, then bake.