Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This a REALLY yummy Indian dip! When I have friends over I ofter serve dips from around the globe. This one is always a hit. I serve it with toasted pita or naan bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggplants, sliced in half
- 1⁄3 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 green chilies, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mango powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek leaves
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Roast the eggplant in a 400°F oven for 45 minutes or until soft.
- While the eggplant is roasting, saute the mustard seeds, bay leaves, chilies, ginger and onions in 1 tbsp of olive oil, for a 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, turmeric, garam masala and chili powder.
- Saute for 5 more minutes.
- Cool and scoop the eggplant from the peel.
- Mash or blend until smooth.
- Add the eggplant and remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Allow to cook for at least 10 more minutes.
- Serve warm with toasted pita or naan.
I made the recipe for my husband, who is Punjabi, but I have never personally tasted it before. I thought it tasted very good! Having said that, he liked it too, but then asked me to add in some pre-mixed masala to accomodate his unusually spicy tastebuds. I would definitely make this again and recommend it for others to try.