Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I went veggie 8 months ago for health reasons. One of the things I missed the most was a hearty, stick to your ribs stew, so I came up with this one. I don't care for soy or other alternative meats, so it is without them.
- 1 (32 ounce) carton vegetarian broth
- 1 quart water
- 5 stalks celery, cut in large chunks, 1-3 inches
- 5 large carrots, peeled and chunked
- 5 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled and cut in half
- 2 leeks, cleaned well, and rough cut
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (7/8 ounce) envelope brown gravy mix
- salt and pepper
- Bring broth and water to boil. Add chunked celery, carrots, onion and potatoes. Bring to slow boil and cook 45 minutes to an hour, or until vegetables are easily pierced with fork. Add cut-up leeks, and kidney beans, bring back to slow boil for another 15 to 20 minutes. Add packet of gravy mix, stirring quickly to mix well.
- Serve in bowls with bread to dip. Would do well in the crock-pot. Makes an enormous amount. Had leftovers for a change!