Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
So good. This is for those days when you don't feel like meat. I really like this mixture of veggies.
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half crosswise, cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips
- 1⁄4 medium red bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 1⁄2 red onion, cut into 3/4 inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 loaf French bread
- 1⁄4 cup ranch dressing
- 3 slices swiss cheese
- Heat grill.
- In 8 inch baking dish, mix zucchini, bell pepper and onion.
- Drizzle with oil, toss to coat.
- With tongs, place veggies in grill basket.
- Place grill basket over medium heat, cover grill.
- Cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from grill and place veggies in 8 inch dish.
- Stir in oregano and garlic.
- Cut 18x18 inch sheet heavy duty foil, lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Cut loaf in half lengthwise.
- Spread cut sides of bread with dressing.
- Top bottom half with grilled veggies.
- Place cheese slices diagonally over veggies, overlapping slightly.
- Cover with top half of bread.
- Place on foil, wrap securely using double fold seals, allowing room for heat expansion.
- Reduce grill to low heat.
- Place wrapped loaf on grill and cook 7 to 10 minutes or until warm.
- Carefully unwrap loaf to allow steam to escape.
- Cut loaf into 4 sandwiches.
These were so amazing. I made them with ciabatta bread instead of french bread and they were just delicious!
My husband the veggie hater loved these. I also added sauteed portobello mushrooms and oil packed dried tomatoes the second time I made this. I think next time I might try spreading spaghetti sauce on the bread instead of ranch dressing and add some mozzarella slices. Yummm!
I have made this many times in the summer. I use foccia bread and omit the ranch and add some red pepper flakes to the veggies. It is a truly fantastic sandwich and play around with the cheese if you don't like swiss I have used provolone and fontina. Thank you for posting this great summer recipe.