Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This makes a great side, either warm or at room temperature, for steaks and chicken. This dish is much beloved and called for in my catering jobs.
- 1 lb small red potato
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, cover potatoes with 2 inches salted water. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high; add potatoes and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, mashing potatoes slightly, until golden brown in spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Add bacon to skillet. Cook until bacon is browned, about 3 minutes. Add green beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until bright green and crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Add to potatoes along with lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper and toss gently to combine.
I love this kind of dish - olive oil, garlic, bacon, lemon, YUM! Can't go wrong with these flavors that carry notes of the Mediterranean. I used extra garlic (because I just LOVE garlic) and also used a good quality extra virgin olive oil. Also, I drained off most of the bacon fat and only left enough for taste. I added the garlic towards the end part when cooking the potatoes in the skillet, because I feared it would have burned. Very tasty, tasty, and this dish will become a regular part of my cooking repertoire. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Made it for PAC 2014. Thank you Motley Oklahoma for sharing this WINNER!
We just loved this dish. It has all my favorites in it - green beans, potatoes, bacon, garlic... My red potatoes were on the large size so I cut them up before cooking them. I will definitely be making this again.