Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe from Sandra Lee (so it's semi-homemade). A simple and tasty appetizer for a dinner party! This tastes even better the second day and keeps wonderfully in the fridge (you just need to reheat for about 45 seconds in the microwave.
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 lemon peel strips
- 2 stalks fresh oregano, leaves removed
- 1 (12 ounce) jar green olives, strained (pitted if possible)
- 1 (12 ounce) jar kalamata olives, strained (pitted if possible)
- black pepper
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over low heat. When the oil is warmed up, add the garlic cloves and lemon rinds. When the garlic cloves are sizzling in the oil, add the oregano (you can use 1 tbsp dried oregano if you don't have fresh oregano on hand).
- Dry the olives with a paper towel to remove excess moisture and add to the skillet. Season with black pepper and toss to combine.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a side of sliced mini French bread and some cheese cubes for a perfect, simple appetizer.
These are really good...I decided to make it well in advance for a party, and will reheat as suggested. I'm sure the flavours will intensify...they're already very good. It certainly looks pretty with the 2 colours of olives, but if you had to, you could do all 1 type. For just a litle effort I really think this will impress. Thanks for posting JB!
Oh my goodness, yum!!! I enjoyed some in a sub and it was delicious! Thanks for a great recipe!
I love these olives! This is such a nice way to present them on the table. They actually looked pretty, but they tasted even better. Thank you January Bride! [made for recipe swap #19 Aug. '08].