Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted by request
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium red onions, thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 6 medium very firm potatoes
- 1⁄2 lb low-fat kielbasa
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh dill
- In a large frying pan, heat the butter and 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, thyme, and caraway seeds.
- Sauté 2-3 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften.
- Lower the heat, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, 20-30 minutes, or until the onions are tender but not browned.
- While the onions are cooking, place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Pierce the kielbasa several times with a fork, add to the potatoes, and simmer 10 minutes, turning several times.
- Drain, cool slightly, and then slice the potatoes and kielbasa into ½ pieces- place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining oil, vinegar, brown sugar, and mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle this mixture over the potatoes and kielbasa and mix well.
- Arrange the onions on a serving platter and top with the potato mixture.
- Sprinkle with dill and serve warm.
This turned out really good! I didn't have any kielbasa on hand but I did have bacon so I substituted it in place. I followed the recipe as is and it turned out as good as I hoped. Thanks for posting!