Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Tasty warm eggplant salad, great served with yogurt and my "Fennel and Sea Salt Pita Bread Crisps".
- 2 large eggplants
- 20 ml olive oil, plus
- extra olive oil, to brush
- sea salt
- 3 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small red chile, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 ml lemon juice
- 20 ml red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F).
- Peel strips off the eggplant skin with a vegetable peeler, slice eggplant into 1cm (just under 1/2 inch) thick slices.
- Brush both sides with the extra olive oil, then place in a baking dish and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, if eggplant is a little dry, sprinkle with water, cool for 5 minutes, then cut into 1 cm cubes and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, add tomatoes, garlic, spices, chilli, sugar and salt.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, remove from heat and add juice, vinegar and black pepper.
- Add to the reserved eggplant, stir through herbs.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Mmmm,delicious. I doubled the garlic though. We had it on the piece of grilled sourdough bread. Next time I will try to add some sauteed onions and reduce the amount of vinegar or lemon juice( it was a bit too acidic).
This was a hit at a Moroccan-themed party I attended. I didn't know until after I made the dish that the party was catered so I brought it anyway (thought we could never eat it all but, in hindsight, we probably could have!). The guests kept asking the caterer about it and she rather sheepishly admitted she didn't make it.
This is a wonderful warm and delicious salad. I used fresh herbs and lemon. Next time I'll try it with the yogurt and pita bread, I think the pairing would be really nice. Thanks.