Recipe by litldarlin
I ran across this recipe in the Chicago Tribune paper. I was looking for a different type of salad to serve for my Craft Night get-together. We all love eggplant and salads, since most of us are on diets. It turned out wonderful, very tasty salad. I hope you enjoy it.
- 4 Japanese eggplants
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin (Rice Wine)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mirin (Rice Wine)
- red leaf lettuce leaf
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove eggplant stems.
- Cut eggplants lengthwise into 1/2" thick slices.
- Cut each slice into 1/4" wide strips.
- Transfer to a shallow microwave-safe baking dish;.
- Add 1 tbls water. Cover with plastic wrap vented at one corner.
- Cook in microwave on high (100% power) stirring once or twice until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Let stand covered a few minutes.
- Transfer to a colander; press out the excess water with a flat spatula.
- For the dressing, mix tahini, soy sauce, rice vinegar and mirin in a large bowl until smooth; add the warm eggplant.
- Toss gently to coat well.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on individual serving plates; top each with a portion of eggplant mixture.
- Sprinkle with onions and herbs.
- Note: Japanese eggplants, tahini, seasoned rice vinegar and mirin are available fresh in Japanese markets.