Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is always a huge hit, whenever/wherever I serve this appetizer. Too many people have asked me for the recipe, so I decided to post it and share with everybody.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons onions or 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup whole milk or 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (or more)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 (12 ounce) jar water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and coasrely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat, saute garlic and onion in butter/olive oil until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Mixed well with the fat.
- Slowly whisk in cream, milk, and chicken broth. Whisk until the sauce is lump free.
- Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat until boiling. Stir in Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese has melted, then turn the heat to low and stir in the sour cream.
- Squeeze the spinach dry in a towel, and coarsely chop the artichoke hearts. Fold in the spinach and artichoke hearts in the sauce.
- If not serving right away, transfer the mixture into a microwave-safe dish and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. The dip can be refrigerated until ready to serve.
- To serve, microwave dip on 50% power until the sauce is warm and cheese is melted.
This recipe is awesome! I used Monteray Jack instead of White Cheddar, but it still ended up tasting fantastic. I'm crossing my fingers it'll go well at the halloween party tonight!
This was excellent. I did add a step though. After the spinach and artichoke hearts were added, I then put it all in an oven safe dish and sprinkled the white cheddar on top and baked @ 350* until it was bubbly and the cheese started to slightly brown. Yum
Amazing dip, always the first food to go at a party. 5 stars all the way!