1/2 Photos of Warm Chocolate Souffles
I made these with Dutch Process Cocoa. It was like eating a chocolate cloud. The recipe comes from the New Mayo Clinic Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground hazelnuts or 1 tablespoon almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 4 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries or strawberries)
- confectioners' sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Lighlty spray six 1-cup individual souffle dishes or ramekins with cooking spray.
- 3In a small bowl, combine the cocoa and hot water, stirring until smooth; set aside.
- 4In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, stir in the canola oil; stirring to combine.
- 5To the butter mixture, add the flour, ground nuts and cinnamon.
- 6Cook mixture for approximately 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- 7Stir in brown sugar, honey and salt.
- 8Gradually add the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 9Remove from heat and add the cocoa mixture.
- 10Allow mixture to cool slightly.
- 11In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high setting, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- 12Add the granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- 13With rubber spatula, gently fold 1/3 of egg whites into cocoa mixture.
- 14Then fold in the remaining egg whites, mixing only until no white streaks remain.
- 15Gently scoop the mixture into prepared dishes and bake until souffle rises above the rim and is set in the center, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- 16Using a fine sieve, dust the tops with confectioners sugar and garnish with fresh berries.
- 17Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warm Chocolate Souffles
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.7
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 6.6 mg
- Sodium 103.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: