Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
Oh So Good! These little cakes are so simple to make and your guests with think you spent ages on them. Good quality chocolate is key here. If you don't have souffle dishes or custard dishes, you could use muffin tins, but it would make more little cakes (then you could have TWO each!). Use heart shaped moulds for Valentine's Day and top with whipped cream and raspberry coulis. Mmmmm. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Butter six 6-ounce custard cups, souffle dishes or other moulds.
- Mix the 2 Tbsp sugar and cocoa powder together and dust the inside of each mould.
- Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and 2/3 cup butter together over low heat.
- Cool slightly.
- Beat together 1/3 cup sugar and egg yolks with electric mixer or hand beater until thick and creamy (about 4 minutes).
- Pour into chocolate mixture and beat together for about 4 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites on medium to high speed until they form stiff peaks (about 3 minutes).
- Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture along with flour.
- Pour into moulds.
- Bake for 7 minutes until edges are set, but centre is still jiggly.
- Cool for 5 minutes and carefully remove to serving dishes.
- Serve with whipped cream or good quality French Vanilla or Coffee ice cream.
This was soooo good, it gave me goosebumps! I served it with whipped cream and the cakes slipped right out of the custard cups onto serving plates. The timing was perfect in my oven. For the leftovers, 15 seconds in the microwave reheated each cake without baking it.
DH and I made this together, our once a week bonding in the kitchen. what a treat! It was marvelous and so hard to stay away from. Thanks for sharing an excellent one Martha!
We loved these! I had my first molten cake in Hawaii for my birthday and thought it must be so difficult to make. When I saw how easy this recipe looked, I decided to try it for our "Easy and Romantic" menu and it was wonderful! 7 minutes baking time was perfect. I used heart-shaped ramekins, added some whipped cream on top and a few fresh raspberries and wow! It's nice to be able to make a dessert that isn't a ton of work, so you can enjoy your guest(s)! Too bad my kids didn't get to try these, but I will be making them soon again!