My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
The Sweet Garlic
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- fresh ground pepper
The Croutons and Bacon
- 1/2 lb thick slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup bread, crust removed, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 -4 tablespoons rendered bacon fat
The Mustard Dressing
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1To Prepare the Sweet Garlic: Place the garlic and milk in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring the milk to a boil.
- 2Boil for 3 minutes.
- 3Remove from the heat.
- 4Discard the milk, reserving the garlic.
- 5Combine the sugar and butter over medium heat.
- 6Add the garlic and cook until the cloves are soft and lightly caramelized.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Set the sweet garlic aside.
- 9To Prepare the Croutons and Bacon: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 10Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a skillet until it is crisp but not dry.
- 11Remove from the heat and place the bacon on paper towels.
- 12Pour off all but 3 to 4 tablespoons of the rendered bacon fat.
- 13Add the cubed bread to the pan and toss to coat.
- 14Season with salt and pepper and transfer the bread cubes to a baking sheet.
- 15Bake for 5 minutes, or until they are lightly browned.
- 16Set aside.
- 17To Make the Dressing: Mix the shallots, mustard, and vinegar together.
- 18Gradually whisk in the olive oil until the liquid is well blended.
- 19Season with salt and pepper.
- 20Set aside.
- 21To Serve: Tear the chicory leaves into small pieces.
- 22Place them in a serving bowl and set aside at room temperature.
- 23Heat the bacon in a small, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat.
- 24Add the croutons and then the dressing.
- 25Toss for 2 seconds, pour it over the salad greens, and toss thoroughly.
- 26(Don't overcook the dressing or the mustard will lose its flavor.) Serve the salad on individual plates, topped with crumbled Roquefort cheese, sweet garlic, and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warm Chicory Salad With Sweet Garlic, Croutons, Bacon & Roqu
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.7
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 41.5 mg
- Sodium 430.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: